There are many places around the Sybir Memorial Museum that are worth seeing during your visit.
FORMER MILITARY WAREHOUSE
The red brick building, occupied by the Sybir Memorial Museum, is the easternmost part of the military warehouse complex, built in 1934—1936. Its shape is typical for modern industrial construction. In 1940, 1941 and 1944, it witnessed the deportations of the region’s inhabitants to Siberia.
The railway siding of the Poleski Railway Station started right outside the gate of military warehouses built before World War II. From here, in 1940-1941 and in 1944, the Soviets deported the inhabitants of the Bialystok region to Sybir. Also here, in 1943, there were trains on which the Germans transported Jews from the Bialystok ghetto to the extermination camp in Treblinka.
THE MONUMENT OF the Sybirak MOTHER
The monument by Katarzyna and Ryszard Piotrowski is a tribute to those Mothers who, in the extremely difficult conditions of exile, sacrificed everything to save their children from death and maintain their relationships with their native language, religion and culture.
Taiga is one of the largest forests in the world, growing on the northern and eastern part of Russia. During the tsarist times, and especially during the Soviet rule, it was also the largest ‘roofless prison’ in the world, where millions of exiles cut trees, built roads and railroads in extreme climatic conditions. Symbolizing the taiga, the ‘forest’ of metal ‘trees’ illustrates the boundless suffering of the exiles.
Siberia: untamed nature, a place full of life… And at the same time a terrifying symbol of the dramatic fate of millions of exiles. The fragment of greenery preserved in this place is a place of reflection and reflection. On the consecutive anniversaries of each of the four great Soviet deportations in 1940—1941, employees of the Sybir Memorial Museum and residents of Bialystok light candles on the fragments of railway tracks left here.